The Managing DVM is responsible for providing medical leadership for the hospital, managing associate veterinarians and assuring regulatory compliance relating to the practice of veterinary medicine. The Managing DVM is also responsible for creating an environment of teamwork in which quality medicine is delivered.
In partnership with the Hospital Manager, the Managing DVM is responsible for the financial performance of the hospital, preparing operating and capital budgets, and meeting budget expectations. In addition, the Hospital Manager and Managing DVM are responsible for directing staff and the overall management of the practice, under the direction of NVA Divisional Leadership.
Advancing Medical Care
- Oversees surgical and medical cases for all doctors, insuring positive outcomes, accurate estimates, and client communication and education.
- Maintains and improves quality of medical and surgical procedures.
- Answers client questions and concerns regarding medical and surgical procedures.
- Oversight and direction of medical standards and quality of care.
- Establishment of medical protocols.
- Recommendation of hospital inventory.
- Assure current licensure of all DVMs.
- Documents the required hours of continuing education credits per calendar year and CE completion.
- Oversees transfer of medical cases from doctor to doctor.
Leading Staff and Practice
- Participates in the recruiting and interviewing process for DVMs, and when appropriate general staff members.
- Monitors DVM performance and production.
- Prepares DVM work schedules.
- Develops and monitors hospital-specific client compliance protocols and procedures.
- Participates in technician appraisal and counseling sessions by relaying appropriate information to the Hospital Manager.
- Partners with the Hospital Manager to make hiring and termination recommendations.
- Trains all medical staff, including the mentoring of new graduates.
- Supports the Hospital Manager in the development and delivery of staff training programs.
- Creates a positive work environment and works with the Hospital Manager to resolve staff problems, concerns, and conflicts.
- In partnership with the Hospital Manager, develops a workplace conductive to high employee morale, ensuring positive working relationships between clients, doctors and staff.
- Minimizes waste and controls costs relating to medical supplies, surgical instruments, and drug inventories.
- Responsible for the financial performance of the hospital including revenue and hospital contribution growth, which includes managing all hospital expenses.
- With the hospital team and supported by the Divisional Leadership, prepares an annual planning matrix, operating budget and capital budget.
- Takes ownership for the revenue and success of the practice by monitoring key financial reports.
Growing the Practice
- Partners with the Hospital Manager to drive patient visits and community involvement.
- Capable of championing change and driving innovative programs in the hospital.
- Monitors client service, marketing, and NVA growth initiatives
- In partnership with the Hospital Manager, continually looks for ways to innovate operational practices that improve the growth of the practice.
Skills and Basic Qualifications
- A Doctor of Veterinary Medicine (DVM) degree, or equivalent, from an accredited university
- Licensure in good standing to practice in the state in which applicant is to be employed
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- A commitment to practicing the highest standard of medicine and upholding the veterinary code of ethics
- The ability to delegate responsibility and achieve results with hospital team members
- Capable of quality decision making
- The ability to coach, correct, develop, and motivate employees
- Demonstrates excellent time and task management
- Demonstrates professional and courteous presentation with staff and clients
Equal Employment Opportunity
It is the policy of the company to afford equal opportunities to all applicants and employees regardless of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, non-disqualifying disability or status as a disabled or Vietnam era veteran.
Job Type: Full-time